Brawl injures 26 people, Mexican soccer league halts Queretaro matches
On Sunday, Mexico’s soccer league announced the suspension of upcoming matches in Queretaro stadium. The decision was taken after violent clashes left more than two dozen people injured.
The brutal attacks among spectators took place in the Queretaro-Atlas match on Saturday. The ill-fated incident sent 26 people to the hospital, with three people in critical condition.
Mexico’s soccer league announced it would pursue sanctions. However, the federation refrained from telling what the sanctions might include or who might be held responsible.
“We have the challenge to generate an understandable response and effective punishment,” said the president of Mexico’s Liga MX league.
“We aren’t going to have any soccer activity until the case is resolved,” Mikel Arriola added, referring to the Corregidora stadium.
Arriola said the league owners would meet on Tuesday to ponder further disciplinary measures while government officials pursue investigations.
Liga MX stopped Saturday’s match after 62 minutes as spectators stormed the pitch. Atlas was leading 1-0 in the game. Social media images showed fans being brutally beaten, dragged, and kicked in hallways and seating areas of the stadium.
Game attendee Hector Ramirez said a few attackers wielded belts and knives.
“They hit me with a chair. I have a bump right here,” he added, pointing to his head.
Mauricio Kuri, the governor of Queretaro state, said some probes had been undertaken for attempted murder.
“We can’t say this isn’t a tragedy if there were no deaths,” Kuri told reporters.
Neither league officials nor the government addressed what triggered the clashes, which were condemned by both the competing teams.
Officials said those who appeared in photos covered in blood and lying on the ground were alive and being treated in hospital. Kuri said some social media reports about victims dying from beatings on the ground were false.
“There is no reason to lie or conceal anything.”