Violence in Sudan on Eid holiday despite three-day ceasefire announcements

WhatsAppWhatsAppTwitterTwitterFacebookFacebookPinterestPinterestRedditRedditGmailGmailShareShare

Residents said heavy fighting continued in the Sudanese capital of Khartoum even after the army agreed to a three-day truce to mark the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr, dealing a strong blow to international efforts to end a week of violence between the army and a paramilitary force.

While the military said on Friday evening it agreed to the 72-hour ceasefire, its adversary, the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) said earlier in the day it had agreed to a truce, also to mark the festival.

The army’s declaration followed another day of serious fighting in Khartoum and the military’s first deployment on foot in the capital since the clashes broke out last Saturday. Soldiers and armed men from the paramilitary force shot at each other in neighbourhoods across the city.

Hundreds have been killed in the fighting, particularly in the capital and the west of Sudan – tipping a country, where about 25% of people already relied on food aid, into a humanitarian disaster.

Keep Reading

With the skies unsafe and the airport in the middle of the clashes, the US, Spain, Germany, Japan, South Korea, and several other countries have failed to evacuate embassy staff. In Washington, the US State Department revealed the death of one US citizen in Sudan.

Only a handful of humanitarian organisations are operating fully in the African nation. A minimum of five aid workers have been killed, including three from the World Food Programme. Meanwhile, a person working for the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) was killed on Friday in El-Obeid.

The fighting is making it more difficult for people to flee Khartoum. According to the World Health Organisation, more than 400 people have been killed in the clashes and thousands injured, with up to 20,000 people rushing to neighbouring Chad.

An increasing number of people are running out of basic supplies, such as food, water, and power, while scores of hospitals have reported being ‘out of service’. Residents in various parts of the country have expressed doubt over the truce holding.

Desk Writer

Human stories, politics, diplomatic developments, climate and daily updates – all are assured to be at your access as we strive to bring the best news to you.

Recent Posts

UAE Tops Global Entrepreneurship Rankings for Fourth Consecutive Year

For four years running the United Arab Emirates remains number one on the Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM) report which marks… Read More

April 3, 2025

Tennessee Confirms Three Additional Measles Cases, Bringing State Total to Four

TDH reports three new measles cases in Middle Tennessee which brings the total number of cases in 2025 to four… Read More

April 2, 2025

Trump’s First Foreign Trip of Term 2: Why the Middle East Matters

U.S. President Donald Trump has announced his upcoming visit to Qatar, the UAE, and Saudi Arabia next month, marking his… Read More

April 1, 2025

UAE’s Strategic CEPA Network Propels Trade Growth to Record Levels

Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid announced that the United Arab Emirates now stands at 75% of its predetermined foreign trade target,… Read More

April 1, 2025

Dangerous Overnight Storms to Strike Middle Tennessee Region Sunday

Two days into Monday, severe weather will strike Middle Tennessee and Southern Kentucky with this being their third weekend of… Read More

March 30, 2025

Myanmar Earthquake: Death toll crosses 1,600 as rescue efforts continue

The death toll in the serious Myanmar and Thailand earthquake has already crossed 1,600. The not-so-deep 7.7 magnitude quake struck… Read More

March 29, 2025