UN Secretary-General calls for an “immediate global ceasefire” due to the threat of coronavirus
Americas

UN Secretary-General calls for an “immediate global ceasefire” due to the threat of coronavirus

UN Secretary General António Guterres highlighted the need for an immediate and complete ceasefire in all parts of the planet due to the spread of the coronavirus. He made the corresponding special statement on Monday during a video conference with journalists accredited to the world organization.

“I call for an immediate global ceasefire in all corners of the world,” said Guterres. “It’s time to block the path of armed conflict and jointly focus on the true struggle of our whole life.” “I appeal to the warring parties: stop hostilities, drop mistrust and enmity, silence guns, stop artillery shelling, stop air strikes,” the UN Secretary General said in an appeal.

He expressed confidence that as soon as possible “the ailment of the war should be put to an end and the disease that is raging in the world should be fought.” “It starts with the cessation of hostilities around the world. Now,” he added.

According to Guterres, a ceasefire will “create humanitarian corridors for the delivery of vital assistance and give hope to those who are most vulnerable to coronavirus infection.” “Our human family needs it now more than ever,” he concluded.

The Secretary General emphasized during a video conference with journalists accredited with the world organization that the UN is taking all steps to implement the organization’s call for a global ceasefire. “I am making my global call now, the special representatives will now work with the parties to the conflict to try to make sure that this global call is not only heeded, but it will also lead to concrete actions – a break in hostilities, and will also create conditions for so that the reaction to the spread of the virus is more effective, “he said.

Guterres urged not to forget that “areas in which conflicts occur are areas where the possibilities for taking action are very limited, and if hostilities continue, then the virus will be absolutely destructive.”

The UN will appeal to donors for the allocation of $ 2 billion for a humanitarian response to the threat of the spread of a new coronavirus. “On Wednesday we will release a humanitarian plan, it will include a call for the allocation of $ 2 billion so that our humanitarian response is as effective as possible,” the secretary general emphasized and added that, first of all, the funds should be used to help refugee camps, where people most vulnerable to a pandemic.

In addition, Guterres sent a message to G20 leaders calling for increased coordination in the fight against the spread of coronavirus in the world. “I just sent a letter to all G20 leaders,” the secretary general informed. “I think it’s absolutely clear that we need much greater coordination in suppressing the disease. We need confidence that not only developed countries can fight it, but that we can support developing countries. “

On March 18, the Saudi press agency reported that Riyadh is planning to convene an extraordinary G20 summit in a virtual format for the week to discuss the situation with coronavirus in a virtual format. Saudi Arabia presides over this association in 2020; the traditional annual G20 summit is scheduled for November in the kingdom. According to previously published information, the UN Secretary General will take part in the virtual meeting.

About Author

Julia Julia Dzekish is a breaking news editor for The World Reviews.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The World Reviews

The World Reviews provides latest world news and brief stories. To know more news about world follow us.