New ceasefire announced in Sudan in an encouraging move. But doubts remain

WhatsAppWhatsAppTwitterFacebookPinterestRedditGmailShare

In at least the third truce announced since deadly clashes erupted ten days back with none holding, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken says the Sudanese army and its rival Rapid Support Forces (RSF) have agreed to a 72-hour ceasefire from 22:00 GMT on Monday.

An agreement had been reached between the warring parties after 48 hours of negotiations, he said.

The days-long violence in Sudan has already killed more than 420 people and injured thousands of others. But the actual number of victims is likely to be much higher as many still cannot access healthcare with dozens of hospitals halting operations.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has raised warnings against the conflict potentially causing a “catastrophic conflagration” that could put the entire region and beyond at risk.

The paramilitary force (RSF) supported Blinken’s announcement, saying they are committed to a “complete ceasefire during the truce period”. The regular army, however, didn’t immediately comment on the news.

Keep Reading

Although other parts of the country have also been affected, the fighting has mainly been concentrated in the capital. While some escaped, several residents of Khartoum are still trapped in their houses with depleting food and water supplies.

The bombing has damaged key infrastructure, including water pipes, compelling some to drink from the River Nile.

The ceasefire is expected to allow civilians to leave the city, while enabling foreign governments to continue evacuations out of the country. A number of countries have already got hundreds of their diplomats and citizens out of Sudan, including the US, India, France, and South Korea.

It is estimated that up to 20,000 Sudanese citizens and those from neighbouring countries have fled to Chad in the west and around 10,000 to the southern neighbour, South Sudan.

According to monitoring group NetBlocks, Sudan is encountering a major “internet blackout” with connectivity at 2% of ordinary levels.

Desk Writer

Human stories, politics, diplomatic developments, climate and daily updates – all are assured to be at your access as we strive to bring the best news to you.

Recent Posts

Tennessee Confirms Three Additional Measles Cases, Bringing State Total to Four

TDH reports three new measles cases in Middle Tennessee which brings the total number of cases in 2025 to four… Read More

April 2, 2025

Trump’s First Foreign Trip of Term 2: Why the Middle East Matters

U.S. President Donald Trump has announced his upcoming visit to Qatar, the UAE, and Saudi Arabia next month, marking his… Read More

April 1, 2025

UAE’s Strategic CEPA Network Propels Trade Growth to Record Levels

Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid announced that the United Arab Emirates now stands at 75% of its predetermined foreign trade target,… Read More

April 1, 2025

Dangerous Overnight Storms to Strike Middle Tennessee Region Sunday

Two days into Monday, severe weather will strike Middle Tennessee and Southern Kentucky with this being their third weekend of… Read More

March 30, 2025

Myanmar Earthquake: Death toll crosses 1,600 as rescue efforts continue

The death toll in the serious Myanmar and Thailand earthquake has already crossed 1,600. The not-so-deep 7.7 magnitude quake struck… Read More

March 29, 2025

Important Notice: April Social Security Payments May Be at Risk if Requirements Not Met

Social Security recipients need to stay informed about possible payment delays in April 2025 because of missing requirements. Most people… Read More

March 29, 2025