Blast in Afghanistan kills Taliban governor in his office
A massive explosion on Thursday killed the Taliban governor of Afghanistan’s northern Balkh province, Mohammad Dawood Muzammil, in his office – the most senior official to be killed since the militant Islamist group returned to power in August 2021 after US-led forces pulled out.
Violence has since reduced significantly. But a string of attacks, many claimed by Islamic State, have killed a number of prominent pro-Taliban figures and others. Numerous deadly bomb blasts have mainly targeted mosques and minority communities, several claimed by the regional affiliate of the militant Islamic State (IS-K) group, who are bitter rivals of the Taliban.
While there was no immediate claim of responsibility, local police informed that the cause of the latest explosion was still unclear. Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid took to Twitter to announce that Muzammil had been “martyred in an explosion by the enemies of Islam,” adding a probe is underway.
While unconfirmed reports said it was a suicide attack, Balkh police spokesperson Mohammed Asif Waziri confirmed the blast occurred inside the second floor of the governor’s office around 9 in the morning.
At least one other person has been confirmed dead in the attack, and numerous others are reported to have sustained serious injuries. The explosion occurred just after Muzammil arrived in his office, Khairuddin – who was wounded in the incident – told AFP news agency.
The governor was moved to Balkh in October 2022, and is reported to have led the fight against Islamic State militants in his previous posting in Nangarhar.
Also Read:- In world’s first, Hong Kong doctors perform cancer surgery using robot and microwaves
Zoolumination at Nashville Zoo dazzles through February 8, 2026 (Thurs-Sun 5-9 PM), has 1,000+ hand-crafted silk lanterns made in Zigong,… Read More
As a tribute to its debut in Seattle, Seafair first opens its Winter by the Water on February 21, 2026,… Read More
The Vintage Winter Market is returning to the Flatiron Arts Building in NYC this Saturday, February 21, 2026, turning the… Read More
Ito Omakase (75 Barclay St, Tribeca), the first restaurant with a Michelin-starred Chef, Masa Ito, and Kevin Kim, has the… Read More
Osteria Vibrato, a new Italian restaurant at 6 Greek Street in Soho, is scheduled to start on February 14, 2026,… Read More
In 2026, the 25th anniversary of the Food Network South Beach Wine and Food Festival (SOBEWFF) will include 100+ events,… Read More
This website uses cookies.
Read More