Four takeaways from Elon Musk’s rare interview with BBC

World’s second richest man Elon Musk was questioned for roughly an hour in a rare and wide-ranging interview with the BBC at Twitter headquarters in San Francisco.

Here are four things we could learn.

1. He denies hateful content on Twitter has increased

The Tesla CEO refused to accept there was more hate speech on the platform since he took over last year.

But earlier this year, some Twitter insiders had raised concerns over the company no longer being able to protect netizens from hate speech, child sexual exploitation, and state-coordinated disinformation, following widespread changes and controversial layoffs under its new owner.

In March, the company said it removed 400,000 accounts in just one month to make Twitter relatively safe.

We need a couple of things in order to fully assess Musk’s claims, and both of them aren’t available at the moment: one, access to the company’s data before and after the takeover, and two, a better understanding of how its owner defines hate speech and misinformation.

2. He didn’t vote for Trump

The last US election saw close to half the country voting for the former president, Donald Trump, Musk said, adding he wasn’t one of them. “I voted for Biden.”

Nevertheless, in another part of the interview, he defended ending a Twitter ban on the politician who was removed in 2021 when the platform accused him of inciting violence.

3. He believes there is less misinfo rather than more

Musk claimed his efforts to remove automated accounts or bots had reduced misinformation on the platform since his takeover. But some outside experts disagree.

In the week following the acquisition, the most popular, untrustworthy accounts on Twitter saw a roughly 60% spike in engagement, according to a study from Newsguard.

Moreover, the BBC has also found that over a third of more than 1,000 previously banned accounts that were allowed back after the takeover had spread abuse or misinformation again.

4. He is against any moves to close down TikTok

Musk says he doesn’t use TikTok but he is against any moves to shut it down. The US is considering banning the most downloaded app in the country due to security concerns over the platform’s Chinese ownership.

But he indeed mentioned that a ban would be beneficial for Twitter as it may mean a greater number of netizens spending time on his platform.

Staff Writer

Politics, diplomatic developments and human stories are what keep me grounded and more aligned to bring the best news to all readers.

Recent Posts

Grassmere: Zoolumination—Nation’s Largest Lantern Festival Enters Final Week

Zoolumination at Nashville Zoo dazzles through February 8, 2026 (Thurs-Sun 5-9 PM), has 1,000+ hand-crafted silk lanterns made in Zigong,… Read More

February 17, 2026

The Waterfront: Winter by the Water—New Festival Launches with “Umbrella Parade”

As a tribute to its debut in Seattle, Seafair first opens its Winter by the Water on February 21, 2026,… Read More

February 17, 2026

Vintage Winter Market Returns to Flatiron Arts Building This Saturday

The Vintage Winter Market is returning to the Flatiron Arts Building in NYC this Saturday, February 21, 2026, turning the… Read More

February 17, 2026

Ito-Kai Omakase Reservations Become the Hardest Get in Manhattan

Ito Omakase (75 Barclay St, Tribeca), the first restaurant with a Michelin-starred Chef, Masa Ito, and Kevin Kim, has the… Read More

February 17, 2026

Soho: “Osteria Vibrato” Opens on Greek Street—Opera Singers Serve While You Eat

Osteria Vibrato, a new Italian restaurant at 6 Greek Street in Soho, is scheduled to start on February 14, 2026,… Read More

February 17, 2026

Miami: South Beach Wine & Food Festival Prep: Where to Eat Before the Crowds Arrive

In 2026, the 25th anniversary of the Food Network South Beach Wine and Food Festival (SOBEWFF) will include 100+ events,… Read More

February 17, 2026

This website uses cookies.

Read More