Jair Bolsonaro: Did Brazil's former leader get money from $70,000 sale of luxury jewellery gifts?
Brazil’s federal police have accused former President Jair Bolsonaro of receiving cash from the nearly $70,000 sale of two luxury watches he got as gifts from Saudi Arabia while in his post.
The incident is likely to make things more difficult for the far-right leader who is already facing trial in a number of different cases that could put him behind bars.
Earlier in the day, officers raided homes and offices of people supposedly involved in the matter, including that of a four-star army general. But Bolsonaro has denied any wrongdoing.
According to a Federal Police officer, who spoke on condition of anonymity, the force is looking for authorisation to access the politician’s personal banking and financial details.
In a statement, Bolsonaro’s legal representatives said he would authorise the country’s judiciary to have access to his banking information.
He is being probed in relation to a rampage by his supporters after he left office as well as activities during the election campaign he lost last fall.
The former president has never misplaced any public assets, the statement further read. Nevertheless, the incident undoubtedly adds to the legal trouble facing Bolsonaro.
Brazilians arriving by plane from abroad must declare items worth over $1,000 and pay a tax equal to 50% of the value for any goods above that exemption.
The couple of luxury watches would have been exempt from tax had they been a gift from Saudi Arabia to Brazil, but would not have been Bolsonaro’s to keep.
According to the investigation, the politician’s aide, Lt. Col. Mauro Cid, sold the gifts to a store in the US in June last year for a total of $68,000, the judge’s order mentioned.
The amount was allegedly moved to the bank account of Cid’s father, one of the targets of the search and seizure warrants issued Friday.
In March 2023, when the Federal Police requested Bolsonaro return the luxury watches, his lawyer repurchased one of them in Miami and turned it over to authorities, the order said.
The former president was recently ruled ineligible to run for office until the end of the decade after a panel of judges ruled he abused his power.
Locating a place in one of the most active beach states in California does not have to be a pain… Read More
Zoolumination at Nashville Zoo dazzles through February 8, 2026 (Thurs-Sun 5-9 PM), has 1,000+ hand-crafted silk lanterns made in Zigong,… Read More
As a tribute to its debut in Seattle, Seafair first opens its Winter by the Water on February 21, 2026,… Read More
The Vintage Winter Market is returning to the Flatiron Arts Building in NYC this Saturday, February 21, 2026, turning the… Read More
Ito Omakase (75 Barclay St, Tribeca), the first restaurant with a Michelin-starred Chef, Masa Ito, and Kevin Kim, has the… Read More
Osteria Vibrato, a new Italian restaurant at 6 Greek Street in Soho, is scheduled to start on February 14, 2026,… Read More
This website uses cookies.
Read More