Corona Pandemic: Doctors in Egypt warn healthcare system might ‘collapse’

Last updated on February 28th, 2023 at 07:46 am

Egypt’s healthcare sector is reeling under crisis as doctors’ protest against the health ministry’s casual approach towards safety measures for healthcare staff amid COVID crisis.

Doctors have accused the ministry of being “negligent” and “responsible” for the death of medics’ deaths.

A statement from a doctors’ union on 25 May said that so far, 19 doctors have died due to COVID-19 infection. In addition to this, about 350 doctors have been infected with the deadly virus.

The union warned that the healthcare system might “collapse” if there is a shortage of personal protective equipment (PPE). There is a shortage of beds for COVID patients.

The health minister retorted that medic staff have been provided “best care” possible and have “sufficient protection kits”.

The number of COVID infected cases in Egypt has risen to 17, 967, with more than 750 deaths.

The doctors’ union reminded the ministry that they have a duty to protect those who are frontline warriors to fight the novel coronavirus. It appealed to the department to provide urgent help with safety kits.

The Health Minister Hala Zayed responding to the current situation said that the ministry has allotted one floor in 20 beds capacity hospital, meant for treating COVID patients, for medics.

Ms. Zayed said all staff while entering and leaving the hospital are being tested for coronavirus. She also assured that there is a “sufficient” stock of protective gear.

She also added that COVID related fatality among doctors is 11 and not 19.
The latest protest comes after a 31-year-old doctor died in Cairo. The doctor could not be admitted to a hospital due to a lack of bed in a quarantine facility.

The deceased doctor’s brother wrote a critical post on Facebook, criticizing the medic’s lack of adequate steps.

Ten of the deceased doctor’s colleagues at the Al-Munira hospital resigned by sharing a mass letter on Facebook on 25 May, demanding better facilities. The hospital officials, however, have denied any such act.

As per reports, another doctor from Al Shoroukh Hospital has resigned recently complaining over the lack of PPE and testing facilities.

Iranian oil tankers dock in Venezuela, defying US sanctions

Bhairav Journalist

Recent Posts

48 Hours in Astoria: A Local’s Guide to Queens’ Most Vibrant Neighborhood

Astoria is the multicultural treasure of Queens that is ranked 2026 by the trending lists of Greek cuisine, street art,… Read More

February 19, 2026

Gold Medalist Scandal: Viral Video and XXL Gold Medalist Buzz Debunked

2026 On FB/Tik Tok, pinay Olympian Zyan Cabrera (Jerriel Cry4zee) was falsely alleged to have leaked intimate video in relation… Read More

February 19, 2026

Dario Amodei vs Sam Altman: What’s Sparking the AI Rivalry Trend Now

Their feud with Dario Amodei (Anthropic CEO) and Sam Altman (OpenAI CEO) broke out after the India AI Impact Summit… Read More

February 19, 2026

A Vision for the Middle East: Strengthening UAE Leadership and Regional Integration

The Middle East is going through a fundamental change in its geopolitics, which is no longer dominated by the old… Read More

February 19, 2026

US Senator Joni Ernst Debunks False Rumors Regarding UAE President’s Health

U.S. Senator Joni Ernst (R-IA) strangely denied rumors on social media on February 17, 2026, about the health of His… Read More

February 19, 2026

Top Rooftop Restaurants in Downtown Chicago

Skyline views, craft cocktails, and seasonal menus are served on rooftop restaurants in downtown Chicago, and on top of Loop/River… Read More

February 18, 2026

This website uses cookies.

Read More