Billy McFarland, the man behind the failed 2017 Fyre Festival, is back with a new version of the event. But just weeks before the planned dates, Fyre Festival 2 is already facing major issues.
The event was first announced for Isla Mujeres, Mexico, from May 30 to June 2, 2025. But recently, it was moved to Playa del Carmen, a nearby beach town. Now, officials in Playa del Carmen say they have no record of any such event being approved in their area.
In a statement posted online, the local government said, “There is no event called ‘Fyre 2’ planned or approved here.” They added that they take public safety and order seriously and will share any updates through official channels.
This announcement is similar to what happened in Isla Mujeres back in February. Officials there also said no permits were requested or approved for a Fyre Festival event.
Despite the confusion, McFarland shared a video last week from Playa del Carmen, thanking local partners and claiming support from tourism and public safety departments. But the government’s denial raises new doubts about whether the festival is really happening.
Many experts are skeptical. Thomas Mustac, a public relations expert, said, “This has all the signs of a new disaster. People still remember what happened the first time.”
Christena Garduno, a marketing expert, said changing the location so late is a big mistake. “People may have already booked travel. This kind of move only makes things worse and damages trust,” she said.
In the original 2017 Fyre Festival, guests paid thousands of dollars expecting a luxury experience in the Bahamas. But they arrived to find half-finished tents, canceled performances, and poor conditions. The festival quickly went viral for all the wrong reasons. McFarland later served four years in prison for fraud.
Now, he’s trying again — with ticket prices for Fyre Festival 2 ranging from $1,400 to more than $1 million. The top-tier ticket promises private flights, yacht travel, and luxury stays, but no artists or headliners have been officially announced.
Critics are warning people to be careful. “This looks like another poorly planned event,” Mustac said. “If McFarland wants people to trust him again, he needs to be honest, transparent, and give people clear information.”
For now, the future of Fyre Festival 2 remains unclear — and many are wondering if history is about to repeat itself.
Zoolumination at Nashville Zoo dazzles through February 8, 2026 (Thurs-Sun 5-9 PM), has 1,000+ hand-crafted silk lanterns made in Zigong,… Read More
As a tribute to its debut in Seattle, Seafair first opens its Winter by the Water on February 21, 2026,… Read More
The Vintage Winter Market is returning to the Flatiron Arts Building in NYC this Saturday, February 21, 2026, turning the… Read More
Ito Omakase (75 Barclay St, Tribeca), the first restaurant with a Michelin-starred Chef, Masa Ito, and Kevin Kim, has the… Read More
Osteria Vibrato, a new Italian restaurant at 6 Greek Street in Soho, is scheduled to start on February 14, 2026,… Read More
In 2026, the 25th anniversary of the Food Network South Beach Wine and Food Festival (SOBEWFF) will include 100+ events,… Read More
This website uses cookies.
Read More