Nomad Capitalist: UAE passport is now the best in the world
The UAE passport has been declared the best in the world.
According to the 199-country Nomad Capitalist Passport Index, which highlights the world’s best citizenships, the Emirati passport – with a total score of 110.50 – jumped straight from the 35th spot last year to number one this year – entering the top 10 for the first time.
According to the index, the UAE passport’s increasing power can largely be attributed to the travel freedoms afforded by the document, in addition to the country’s enviable tax system and business-friendly environment.
The 199 countries in the index compiled by the consulting firm Nomad Capitalist were ranked on the basis of five criteria, including personal freedom, visa-free travel opportunities, and dual citizenship. Read on for how the UAE ranked first on the list.
1. Visa-free Travel: It’s possible for a UAE passport holder to enter 181 destinations across the globe, either without a visa, with a visa on arrival, or using an electronic travel authorisation.
2. Taxation: The Middle Eastern country has a taxation score of 50, implying “zero taxes”.
3. Perception: While compiling the index, Nomad Capitalist relied on the Human Development Index, World Happiness Report, and “subjective factors”, in order to better determine how citizens of each country are received and recognised.
4. Dual Citizenship Possibilities: With a score of 30, the Emirates often allows its citizens to hold other citizenships.
5. Personal Freedom: This criterion considered data and news reports on government surveillance, mandatory military service, and press freedom.
While global mobility is currently on the rise, personal freedom and wealth preservation are increasingly difficult to achieve.
Certain recent global events also caused several passports to see diminishing visa-free travel. With these scores fluctuating, the importance of holding dual citizenship has become even more evident.
Here’s how the list goes.
Top 10 Best Passports on the Nomad Capitalist Passport Index
- United Arab Emirates
- Czech Republic
- New Zealand